Outreachy contributions discussions

Thanks! I am currently studying the resources shared for rust. Once I begin the setup and run into issues I will let you know.

Hey!

Usually, when a CI check fails for Suricata repos, itā€™s a good idea to proactively take a look. you can check what the error was, and that will give you a hint whether itā€™s something with your commit, or a general issue (you can also check PRs or even recent commits by other folks, in case you are uncertain - if you see the same check failing in all recent PRs from other members as well, itā€™s likely something not related to your code).

Checks which may fail and is ok, at this point: codecov. In my experience, sometimes CIFuzz also does that, but Iā€™ve also had cases where it was my codeā€™s fault.

If you try to figure out what is triggering a check failure but arenā€™t sure, itā€™s also ok to ask in the PR, then other member may help you out with that. :slight_smile:

Hey all,

just wanted to share a few things about updating Redmine tickets:

• when you submit a PR, do share that on the ticket. For readability, and checking other tickets, I think itā€™s more common to do it as a comment
  • once youā€™ve done that, you can keep it as is until your PR gets merged - when it is nice if you can once again update the ticket with a comment mentioning the merged PR
  • then, you can change the status to closed :slight_smile:

An example: Bug #4577: coverity: minor warnings - Suricata - Open Information Security Foundation

(Iā€™m sharing these because this was something that confused myself, a few times, not so long ago)

2 Likes

Noted. Thank you for the tips.

Hi @Ahuoyiza . How have you been? Have you been able to setup and study the resource?

2 Likes

Roger That!
It almost a week until the final application, I really appreciate having the opportunity to contribute to Suricata.

@Modupe @Ahuoyiza, itā€™s been nice getting to know you, such a quiet nice small team :wink:
Good Luck to all of us! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Itā€™s been nice getting to know you too Sam. Thanks for always being available to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. I hope we can stay in touch even after this contribution phase.

I really enjoyed contributing to Suricata even though I could not do as much as I had hoped. Everyone was so welcoming. Made me feel like I was part of something bigger.

3 Likes

@Modupe, @gith, @Ahuoyiza, @Barakat_Ajadi you are all very welcome to keep contributing to Suricata, if your routines allow you to, and thatā€™s your wish.

We know that being able to contribute to open-source is also a privilege, so we are grateful that you shared your free time with us, and that you put effort and patience in understanding the issues and ours feedbacks and requests.

Getting started with a mature and complex project, in such a specialized field, is no small task. Congrats to all of you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would definitely love to keep contributing. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

To all the mentors @sbhardwaj @vjulien @jufajardini, Thank you so much for your patience and dedication to helping out and keeping us on track during this period. This is my first time contributing to open source and I have to say it has been an amazing experience :slightly_smiling_face:

To @gith @Ahuoyiza thanks for being awesome. I hope we can keep in touch after this period. Best of Luck :hugs:

4 Likes

Thanks, Modupe, and thank you all for your efforts and contributions!

(and letā€™s not forget @ish - he is also one of the mentors, and as important in this whole process as the others youā€™ve mentioned ^^ )

I think itā€™s a brave thing, to expose ourselves to a new community, a new process, and likely have to learn so many new things in such a short time. Sometimes, just coming to a community where we donā€™t know anyone and share questions or doubts, share our work, knowing others will review and give feedbackā€¦ it can be scary. Iā€™ve felt scared, somewhat.

But it also gives us the opportunity to meet folks that may become life-long friends, and pave paths that might help form new futures, for us. :slight_smile:

Thanks for having dedicated your time to understanding and following as best as possible our contribution process and community guidelines.

As we have said before, you are all welcome to stick around and keep contributing, interacting, helping us make Suricata and its community better for everyone!

1 Like

Youā€™re very welcome. We hope to see more of you in the future. Keep up the great work! Thank you for helping close some tickets out of the big pile we have on Redmine. :sweat_smile:
Good luck! :dancer: :hugs:

2 Likes

@ish Thank you so much for your patience and dedication.

Same here! thanks again to our mentors, their support really helped.

1 Like