Bypass packets with XDP in IPS mode

I have an appliance with two interfaces, eth0 and eth1. Suricata works in IPS mode, copying packets between the two interfaces.
My goal is to create an eBPF program to use through XDP to bypass certain type of packets so that they are copied directly to the other interface, without Suricata analyzing them.
The problem is that when I use XDP_DROP inside the eBPF program to bypass certain packets, they are dropped without being copied to the other network interface. Reading the Suricata documentation I seem to have understood that the packets should be copied to the other interface without being analyzed, not discarded.

I tried using both version 6.0.14 and version 7.0.2 of Suricata, but neither version works.
I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 and libbpf of version 1.2.2 (I also tried using version 0.8.1, but the problem persists).
I compiled Suricata from source.

This is the config I used for af-packet:

af-packet:
  - interface: eth0
    threads: 4
    cluster-id: 99
    cluster-type: cluster_qm  
    defrag: no  
    use-mmap: yes
    ring-size: 200000
    bypass: yes
    xdp-mode: driver
    xdp-filter-file: /usr/libexec/suricata/ebpf/xdp_filter.bpf
    copy-mode: ips
    copy-iface: eth1
  - interface: eth1
    threads: 4
    cluster-id: 98
    cluster-type: cluster_qm  
    defrag: no  
    use-mmap: yes
    ring-size: 200000
    bypass: yes
    xdp-mode: driver
    xdp-filter-file: /usr/libexec/suricata/ebpf/xdp_filter.bpf
    copy-mode: ips
    copy-iface: eth0

Any suggestions for achieving my goal?
Thanks

Hey, welcome Emiliano!

Considering you are writing your own program I would suggest to avoid XDP_DROP action as that, as you suggested drops the packet.
However, the blog eBPF XDP: The Basics and a Quick Tutorial | Tigera mentions that XDP supports XDP_REDIRECT action. It is not available on all NICs/kernels but you might be lucky with that one.
I have seen it used also in the default ebpf/xdp_filter.c program.

Lukas