Contribution phase checkpoint -- Important!

Hey again dear applicants!

We are now half-through this contribution phase. Some of you have already submitted PRs and got some reviews (and we will review the ones that are pending) some have just arrived (and that’s ok :slight_smile: )

Congratulations on your hard work and efforts so far, it’s not always easy to get started, and you are there, trying, braving the reviews, trying again. Thanks a lot for helping each other out when you can - that’s the spirit!

Especially for those who have already claimed and worked on issues labeled Good First Issue, we want to suggest that you move on and claim other types of issues - there’s a bunch of Outreachy tickets for converting our Unit tests to our FAIL/PASS api (Task #2975: convert unittests to new FAIL/PASS API - Suricata - Open Information Security Foundation), which you can check. If a ticket is assigned as “Community Ticket”, it is available to work on, but please remember to ask in the ticket itself before you start - better safe than sorry!

Last but not least: if you haven’t checked the forms for registering your contributions to Outreachy projects and your final application form on the Outreachy page, now is a good moment to do that. – You may save and go back to them later if you don’t know how to answer a specific question :wink: After all the work, let’s make sure that it was not in vain! Answering those forms is mandatory for being considered for internship selection, so go check them out!

1 Like

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have truly learned a lot this past week. Wonderful experience so far. :slightly_smiling_face: For registering our contributions to Outreachy, Can we put the link to our PRs as a contribution even though it has not been merged?
There are also some questions like:

1. Outreachy internship project timeline
  2. Community-specific Questions

Your advice on how to answer these questions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

We must also thank you, open-source projects move forward because they have willing contributors! :slight_smile:

With regards to registering contributions: yes, it is ok to share a link to an unmerged PR - just mention that it hasn’t been merged yet, if I recall correctly, there’s a field where you can say that.

Addressing the other questions:

1. there are two projects available. Please, choose the one you would like to work with, if you get selected for the internship, and plan a timeline on how will you address the task, over the 3-month internship. It doesn’t have to be a detailed timeline, just enough for you - and us - get some overview on how you will approach things. This isn’t written on stone, of course, and adjustments can be made along the way. You may use the internship tasks described on the project page on Outreachy to base your answer on.

2. Do you have specific doubts about the community-specific questions, or are they not available for you to answer? If it’s the second case, please, let us know, and I believe that our great coordinator @sbhardwaj may share those with you all. If the questions are available, but you need guidance on specific questions, do explain where do you need more clarification, please!

Keep up the good work!

Ok. Thank you for the clarifications. About the community-specific questions. They are not available to answer. It would be helpful if it can be shared. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know! We are discussing what questions we want to have answered for this round, and will get back to you all soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!
It’s been a resourceful journey so far!

• For the Contribution Records in Outreachy, I don’t have a specific project to work on in Suricata, both are great for me, should I record the contributions in both projects and let the Mentors choose if whether or not Iam good for any of them?
  • I’m not sure how many tickets one can claim with unmerged PRs? I read somewhere I should claim only 2 tickets w/ unmerged PRs, Could you confirm this please?

Thanks for your great mentoring! it’s been very helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sbhardwaj @jufajardini
Sorry for direct mentioning, but I had to ask again:

• I’m not sure how many tickets one can claim with unmerged PRs? I read somewhere I should claim only 2 tickets w/ unmerged PRs, Could you confirm this please?
  • also I asked to claim a ticket and was waiting for a confirmation to self-assign.

Sorry if the questions seem redundant! :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Hi there and sorry for a late reply!

As we’ve mentioned last week, Friday SuriCon ended, and then we’ve had an extended weekend to recover from the intense days and schedule, so OISF was closed yesterday.
Addressing the questions from this message and the previous:

For the Contribution Records in Outreachy, I don’t have a specific project to work on in Suricata, both are great for me, should I record the contributions in both projects and let the Mentors choose if whether or not Iam good for any of them?

• I would say that you can then pick the one about adding PDU support, as that one can be done by more than one intern, and then mention that you liked both and could work with any of them. But I will try to confirm what’s the best approach with the Outreachy organizers.

I’m not sure how many tickets one can claim with unmerged PRs? I read somewhere I should claim only 2 tickets w/ unmerged PRs, Could you confirm this please?

• With our merging process, a PR can go unmerged for a few days even after it has been approved - because PRs are merged in batches, so to speak. And the first issues mostly claimed required very specific work, so we agreed that applicants can claim another non “Good first issue” for their Outreachy phase.
    If you have asked to claim a ticket and we haven’t answered yet, please forgive us, it is possible that we did not receive the notification from redmine. I’ll comb through them, or if you read this reply before I answer on the ticket, if you could reach me in private and share the ticket link/number, that could be quite helpful!

It’s ok to ask redundant questions if the answer wasn’t clear to you, or if you still haven’t had an answer to your question. :slight_smile:

I’ll go check the tickets now!

p.s.: We’ll share the community-related questions this week, that hasn’t been forgotten :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello all!

Just sent the community-related questions to the active applicants we’ve had so far. If you are contributing to Suricata but haven’t received them, please reach out - here or in private -, and we’ll share them with you, as well.

Good luck with these final days :slight_smile:

2 Likes