Detection of fragmented and reassembled packets

Hello, I am trying to detect traffic related to fragmented and reassembled packets, and I am using mainly the keywords fragbits and fragoffset, however, I am not being able to promote this detection.

This is an example of rule I am trying to use:

alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg: "Possible Reassembled UDP Fragmented Packets"; fragoffset:>0; threshold: type both, track by_src, count 3, seconds 15; classtype: bad-unknown; sid: 110000141; rev:1;)

I would like to know if there is something wrong with the way I am using these keywords, of if there is a reason why the detection of reassembled and fragmented packets may be difficult to promote in this context.

Thanks in advance.

Additional informations:

• Suricata Version: 7.0.5;
  • Installed Suricata from binary packages.

Could you provide an example pcap and also add the suricata.yaml that you used as well as the run command?

I executed the command hping3 -S --data 3000 <ip_addr> to obtain the packets.

example.pcap (40.3 KB)
suricata.yaml (83.5 KB)

I meant the run command for Suricata, so that we know the exact runmode. Ideally also post stats.log and suricata.log.

I am using the default runmode of Suricata. I am posting some of the information obtained during the execution of the commands which generated fragmented packets that were not detected.

example-suricata.log (28.2 KB)
example-stats.log (24.6 KB)

@Andreas_Herz is asking for the command line used to launch suricata; is that available?

I am not sure if this answers your question, but I generally launch suricata using suricata-update && systemctl start suricata, to ensure suricata is running with the newest rules.

in that case post the output of ps auxfwww | grep suricata so we see how the actual command line is used, the systemctl just starts the service but the passed command line arguments are relevant

Here is the output of the indicated command:

mayara      5479  0.0  0.0   9220  2560 pts/2    S+   18:53   0:00          \_ grep --color=auto suricata
root        5475 97.2  9.0 421244 354300 ?       Rs   18:53   0:15 /usr/bin/suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml --pidfile /var/run/suricata.pid --af-packet -D -vvv