Filestore module doesn't seem to work when using the -r XXX.pcap

My pcap includes some operation captured by wireshark,such as uploading the png,jpeg,zip files.

Now I use the following command and try to extract the file from pcap.

suricata  -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -r /home/ubuntu/suricata-all/test.pcap

I’m sure that the suricata.yaml has enabled the filstore module.

- file-store:
      version: 2
      enabled: yes 

Eventhough I forced the system to store all the files using the following configuration

force-filestore: no 

It doesn’t work.

Alerts 0
No Json file in filestore

And I used the following command to serach the json files in log

find  -name '*.json'

Or search the specific suffix, such as the mp3 data

find  -name '*.json' |xargs  grep -l 'mp3'

This is the relevent information about my suricata.

If you can help solve this problem, it’ ll be highly appreciated.

Even though I forced the system to store all the files using the following configuration

force-filestore: no 

Is this the setting you used – I would’ve expected force-filestore: yes

Can you attach your pcap file to your response instead of through a link?

I was wondering if the suricata can extract the file I’ve uploaded through the ftp-data protocols.

I opened the wireshark when I was uploading these files.

• The pcap sample’s here
    test.pcap (150.0 KB)

So the question is if I upload the test.pcap and try to use the following command, can these files be parased and restore to original file?

suricata  -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -r /home/ubuntu/suricata-all/test.pcap

I’m sure that I’ve written the relevent rules

For example

The jpg files:

alert http any any -> any any (msg:"FILESTORE jpg"; flow:established,to_server; fileext:"jpg"; filestore; sid:2021122003; rev:1;)

The files via ftp-data

alert ftp-data any any -> any any (msg:"File Found over FTP and stored"; filestore; sid:7; rev:1;)

However, it doesn’t seem to restore the orignal file using the suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -r /home/ubuntu/suricata-all/test.pcap command

I can confirm that it doesn’t trigger but it also doesn’t show any ftp stats at all. I didn’t do a deep dive in the pcap but can you recreate the pcap and ensure that you also capture the initial ftp connection?

With your pcap and the ETOpen rules, 2 files are extracted – a json file and an html 502 error.

Note that files are extracted into the filestore directory using the logging path. The file names of extract files is their hash.

$ suricata -c suricata.yaml -l /tmp/ll -r ~/ftp-test.pcap
$ find /tmp/ll/filestore -type f
/tmp/ll/filestore/eb/ebcfd77c35603861ad9beb58ce48f966588832b8f7239142b84d3c2e290f09e1
/tmp/ll/filestore/b7/b7e550fed9a44efef548b150b6ee31326d58818688e3ad5e9ff51ae51b57938c

Note that

• File store version 2 is enabled
  • Force-filestore is enabled
1 Like

Thank you so much~I’ve tried to update to 6.0.4 to get rid of the unknown problems(Maybe the historic legacy) :rofl: :grinning: