Outreachy Contribution Rounds Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

This is a list of common questions that an Outreachy applicant trying to contribute to Suricata may have.

If you don’t see your question here, feel free to create a new topic! If you’re not an Outreachy applicant, please select amongst the forum categories the one best suited to your scenario.

Where do I find everybody?

There will be an Introductions post for each round in this same category. There, you’ll read about each round’s mentor. All applicants should also introduce themselves there.

For more casual chat, you’re welcome to join our Discord Outreachy channel.

Where do I ask questions?

• If you have general Suricata-related questions, this forum is the place.
  • If you are working on a ticket and want further clarifications, the ticket is ideal.
  • If it’s something else, try the Discord channel.

I asked a question on the chat/ forum/ ticket and no one answered (yet)

While we do our best to be vigilant during the Contribution period to check our channels more often, we also have other work and life-related tasks that compete for our time. If your question has been sitting for less than a day, give it time: we are a distributed team from various different time zones, so chances are someone will see it within a work-day. If more time has passed, please bring this to our attention in the dedicated Discord Outreachy channel.

I want to contribute! Where do I find issues (tickets)?

Our issue tracker is Redmine. All available issues are there. In order to contribute to Suricata, you will have to register there.

What issues should I start with?

If you have never contributed to Suricata or Open Source before, we recommend you check our Good First Issues first (heh). These should be simple enough for you to understand our contribution guidelines and process while making a contribution.

As an Outreachy applicant and newcomer, you are also welcome to check our Outreachy issues, and those labeled Beginner.

I found a ticket! What now?

Communication if very important! Please ask on the ticket if you could claim it. If we don’t respond within a work-day, use Discord to share the ticket link and ask to claim it.

But… What does Suricata do, how to install and use it?

Welp we’d hope you’d know a bit by now :sweat_smile: but that’s ok.
In short, Suricata is an open source network monitoring, security and cyber threat intelligence tool.

We have a Quickstart Suricata setup for new developers & Outreachy applicants.

For more on that Suricata, you can check our Learning Library - Suricata.

For a variety of webinars, conference talks and other tutorials, go to OISF/Suricata YouTube channel.

Can I read more about Suricata?

Sure!

Do I have to follow a Code of Conduct? Do you have one?

We’re glad you asked! You surely do, as Outreachy also states. We do, and while it is short, we take it seriously, and are open to discuss cases brought to our attention. You can read it at About Us | OISF.

That’s all for now, folks! If you feel we should add more to this list, feel free to reach out to us and suggest :wink: