Outreachy December 2021 - March 2022 Round: Introduce yourselves here!

Greetings, potential Outreachy interns!

You’re very welcome to the humble abode of OISF created for you. Please make sure you have gone through the pinned post that explains the category before jumping in. This thread is for all the mentors and applicants to introduce and only introduce themselves. You can choose the length of introduction that you want to give for yourself. If you have any questions/ suggestions, please feel free to create a new topic for that.

Moving on, introducing myself…

:wave: I am Shivani.
:woman_curly_haired: Pronouns: She/Her.
:mantelpiece_clock: Timezone: Asia/Kolkata.
:briefcase: I am a member of OISF working on parts of Suricata and its auxiliary tools.
:open_file_folder: In the past, I have worked on projects with C, Python, Django, AWS, PostgreSQL, Redis, Celery, and more as a developer and a DevOps engineer.
:spider_web: Shivani Bhardwaj
:woman_genie: I’ll be one of your mentors and the coordinator for OISF.
:mailbox_with_no_mail: I’m available for any questions related to the Redmine tickets, Suricata project, Git, Rust, C.
:e-mail: Contact me at shivani@oisf.net in case of any CoC violations or anything you might want to improve that you’re not comfortable sharing in public.

Good luck! :star2:

4 Likes

Hello, Outreachy folks and newcomers!

I loved Shivani’s style, so I’ll take inspiration from it…

:wave: I am Juliana.
:woman_curly_haired: Pronouns: She/Her (They/Them is also fine).
:mantelpiece_clock: Timezone: Europe/Lisbon.
:briefcase: I am also a member of OISF working on parts of Suricata, mostly, and its documentation.
:open_file_folder: In the past, I have worked on projects with C/C++, PHP, PostgreSQL, Drupal; but also as a Service Desk and Customer Support call center agent, and as a freelancer translator.
:woman_genie: I’ll be one of your mentors for OISF.
:mailbox_with_no_mail: I’m also available for any questions related to the Redmine tickets, Suricata project, Git, Rust, C…
:e-mail: Contact me at jufajardini [at] oisf [dot] net in case of any CoC violations or anything you might not feel comfortable sharing in public.
:notebook: Juliana’s blog
:bird: @jufajardini

:brazil: I am from Brazil =]
:biking_woman:t3: I love biking, rollerblade skating, and parkouring, when possible.
:cat2: I love cats, and animals and nature in general :deciduous_tree:
:heavy_heart_exclamation: I am an Outreachy alum
Extra info: I like emojis a lot. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Hi all!

:wave: I am Victor
:man: Pronouns: He/Him
:mantelpiece_clock: Timezone: Europe/Amsterdam
:genie: I’ll be one of your mentors for OISF.
:briefcase: Leading the Suricata development effort,
:mailbox_with_no_mail: I’m also available for any questions related to the Redmine tickets, Suricata project, Git, Rust, C…
:email: Contact me at vjulien@oisf.net in case of any CoC violations or anything you might not feel comfortable sharing in public.
:open_file_folder: In the past, I’ve mostly done Open source C development.
:bird: Tweets at https://twitter.com/inliniac
:notebook: Blog at https://blog.inliniac.net/
:netherlands: I am from the Netherlands

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

:wave: I am Jason.
:man: Pronouns: He/Him (They/Them is also fine).
:mantelpiece_clock: Timezone: Canada/Regina (GMT-6)
:briefcase: I work for the OISF as a senior Suricata developer
:open_file_folder: My experience is mostly with C and Rust these days, but have been known to developer rather large Python and Java apps, and the occasional web interface.
:alien: I’ll be one of your mentors for the OISF Suricata project.
:e-mail: Contact me at jish@oisf.net in case of any CoC violations or anything you might not feel comfortable sharing in public.
:canada: I’m from Canada

4 Likes

Hello everyone.

I am Modupe. I am an outreachy applicant. I am excited to join this community. Where can I get started.

2 Likes

Hi @Modupe, welcome to our community!

Have you read our blog post on getting started contributing to Suricata? Getting Started Contributing to Suricata - Suricata It’s a good start, if not :slight_smile:

You can also register on redmine, in case you haven’t done so yet, and have a look at our “Good first issues”, or “Outreachy” issues. Both labels shall bring a list of tasks which you can choose to claim, to get started contributing and getting to know more about Suricata. Once registered, let us know, so we can grant you a developer role. Then, you can ask in any ticket which you would like to claim, and we’ll let you know if it is available.

As a very first thing, if you haven’t gone through that, yet, you’ll need to setup and install Suricata in your computer/laptop. We recommend that you use a Linux based OS, for development work with Suricata: Ubuntu Installation from GIT - Suricata - Open Information Security Foundation

Most of the initial steps are also described on the Outreachy dashboard for the projects, and on the blog post, so do check them out, too! :slight_smile:

If more questions arise, feel free to create a new topic in under the Outreachy category, to help us keep the forum organized and make finding and answering questions easier. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the assistance. I use a Mac Os, would that suffice for the development work? Also, I have a good knowledge of Javascript, but not Rust. However, I am willing to learn if that is ok.

Hello again!

Mac OS: As the Installation from GIT states: “Installing from GIT on other operating systems is basically the same, except that some commands are Ubuntu-specific (like sudo and apt-get). In case you are using another operating system, you should replace those commands by your operating-specific commands.” We do have colleagues who develop for Suricata using Macs, so my understanding is that it is possible. However, if any Mac OS-related issues arise, it might be harder to find the right answers on how to fix them.

The good side is that if you find differences, you could write a short guide explaining how to overcome those :slight_smile:

If you can install Ubuntu as a dual-boot, or maybe have a virtual machine running ubuntu on your Mac, it might be easier, though.

Rust knowledge: it would be more challenging for you to go through the tasks if you don’t have knowledge of a language like Rust, but if you are willing to learn and have time to dedicate to following tutorials and getting started with it, you might be able to accomplish the contribution tasks, and keep improving as you go! In short: I suggest you try contributing to an issue and following a tutorial, and see how you progress :wink:

1 Like

Ok. Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I will start with tutorials for Rust to get me started.

1 Like

Hello!

I’m an Outreachy Applicant, I’m very excited to contribute to the Suricata Projects! it aligns well with my field of work - Malware Analysis | Reverse Engineering - so along with investigating malicious traffic, Surely It would be a rich experience diving into the development side of the Suricata Project.

:crossed_fingers: I am Sam
:woman_red_haired: Pronouns: She/Her | (They/Them is also fine)
:mantelpiece_clock: Timezone: EET (Cairo/Egypt)
:briefcase: Currently I’m a Malware Researcher | Reverse Engineer, Projects involving C/C++, .Net, Python and a bit of Rust. In the past I did some Web Development with Django
:space_invader: a Potential Outreachy Intern
:left_speech_bubble: Infolink | Blogs
:bird: @ghostinthehive
:egypt: I am from Egypt

Thanks for this opportunity! :dizzy:

3 Likes

Hello Sam, do feel welcome to our community!

If you have any questions, feel free to create a new topic under this Outreachy category. And when you feel ready, do ask to claim an issue in our redmine project tracker.

1 Like

Hello!

I’m an Outreachy Applicant, I’m very excited to contribute to the Suricata Projects!

:wave: : I am Barakat
:woman: : Pronouns: She/Her
:mantelpiece_clock: Timezone: Nigeria (GMT+1)
:briefcase: Currently I’m a software engineer, build react component library, interfaces etc Experience is mostly in javascript
:space_invader: a Potential Outreachy Intern
:bird: @ajadiabeeola
:nigeria: : I am from Nigeria.

Thanks for this opportunity! Looking forward to learn and contribute! :dizzy:

3 Likes

Hi Juliana. I watched the webinar: A beginner’s guide to adding new features to Suricata. I see you were also new to rust when you started contributing to Suricata. Quite Inspiring! Could you advise on a few tutorials that helped you? I think it would really help. Thank you.

Hi Barakat, Hi Sam, nice to meet you. I trust we would have a great time contributing and collaborating.

1 Like

Modupe, can you please create a new topic where we could share rust tutorials and related links? It’s better organized like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @Barakat_Ajadi !

Be very welcome! :slight_smile:

To all: we’re looking forward to seeing your contributions! =]

Ok. Great advice. I created the topic " Rust Tutorials for Beginners".

Hello,
I am Sophia, an outreachy applicant. I will like to contribute but I don’t know rust but eager to learn.

4 Likes

Hello Sophia!

I’m also an Outreachy applicant, I see you found the Topic: Outreachy contributions discussions where we discuss common errors in testing, installation …etc.
There is also a Rust Tutorials For Beginners Topic for suggested materials to learn Rust, You should check it out!

and welcome to the club! :crossed_fingers: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Hi Sophia. A very warm welcome to you :hugs:. We are happy to have you here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome Modupe & Sam :hugs:. It’s easy to settle in thanks to you​:hugs:

3 Likes